Monday, September 14, 2009

Back to Brimfield

We were on vacation last week. We decided that it would be cool to visit Maine and on the way back, go back to Brimfield. Maine was beautiful. I have never been to Maine before. We went to Belfast and spent a day in Acadia National Park looking for starfish and sea urchins with Elizabeth. Since we are home educators, much of this trip will get logged in as science. On Wednesday we drove to Brimfield, Mass.
If you have never been to Brimfield, it is an experience. This year marked the 50th anniversary. It all began in 1959 when an auctioneer opened his property up to 67 dealers to sell their stuff for a few days. Now it has grown to 21 different fields along a one mile stretch of road with some 5000 dealers. If you go to the link above you will see an aerial photograph that will give you an idea of how big this show is.
This year I had the privilege of running into someone that I used to work with in my Pittsburgh days some 15 years ago. Jack Dill is an auctioneer that I worked with for about a year and a half. He now has his own business. He bought an old Victorian house back in 1994 and proceeded to renovate it. He has been selling at Brimfield for 25 years. It is because of him that I knew about this place. Here he is in action!



Elizabeth was in her element. She collects Wade figurines and had discovered an entire box full of the things when I took this photo


We also discovered a great craft item for kids when we went to one local restaurant. They are called wikkistix. These wax covered pieces of string can be used like pipe cleaners to make things. Here is a photo of my figure (on the right, in a pike man's pose) and Elizabeth's figure which is about to stick a pie in my face!



But alas, vacation is over. Today I cut the grass, weed whacked the back yard and made a dash to Home Depot to get the wood paneling to fix my termite infested kitchen wall. Tomorrow the craziness associated with running for mayor begins. Only six weeks to election day and then I get my life back!

9 comments:

Kate H. said...

In six weeks you get your life back-- if, God forbid, you don't win. Otherwise, you get your life and the life of the entire city of Dayton. Have fun!

(Verification word is "thopla." Awful lot like "the hoopla," no?)

Evie Simpson said...

Hi

My name is Evie Simpson. I've just visited your website http://thisoldcrackhouse.blogspot.com/ and I was wondering if you'd be interested in exchanging links with my website. I can offer you a HOME PAGE link back from my Industrial Supply website which is
http://www.angusandannie.com/ with page rank 5

If you are interested, please add the following information to your website and kindly let me know when it's ready. I'll do the same for you in less than 24 hours, otherwise you can delete my link from your site.

Title: Road Sweepers
URL: http://www.sweepers.priorityplant.com/
Description: A wide range of quality new road sweeping equipment from Priority Plant.

I hope you have a nice day and thank you for your time.

Best regards;

Evie Simpson
Web Marketing Consultant
evie.simpson@angusandannie.com


PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A SPAM OR AUTOMATED EMAIL, IT'S ONLY A REQUEST FOR A LINK EXCHANGE. YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS NOT BEEN ADDED TO ANY LISTS, AND YOU WILL NOT BE CONTACTED AGAIN.IF YOU'D LIKE TO MAKE SURE WE DON'T CONTACT YOU AGAIN, PLEASE FILL IN THE FOLLOWING FORM:HTTP://WWW.NOMOREMAILS.COM; OR WRITE AN EMAIL TO STOP@NOMOREMAILS.COM.
PLEASE ACCEPT OUR APOLOGIES FOR CONTACTING YOU.

kendra said...

Holy cow! I'm not sure you're getting your life back in quite the way you expected. Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

wow congradulations I hope I spelled that right. Have fun in your new job and dont forget to keep us out here updated with the house and stuff.

Norma

Barbara Z. said...

Thank God you are not 'getting your life back' exactly the way it was. Congratulations, Mr Mayor!!

Kate H. said...

Oh, bugger it, Gary, I can't find the comments section on your Mayoral Race site, if there is one, so I'll say it here-- I just found out from John A. at The Devil Queen that you won! you won! Woot! Woot! Yeah, I should have checked hours ago, but I've been trying to get some work done around here! Enormous conga-rats as you clean up Dayton!!!! Now I gotta check the Dayton paper's site to see how well you, um, shellacked Ms. McLin. I expect she's nice and shiny by now? Yea, yea, yea!!!

Sandy said...

Congratulations, Gary!!!

QCEVO said...

Yay Mayor Gary. I'm so happy for you!

jake said...

Its GREAT NEWS that you won! I am jumping for joy! This really made my day and I know you will guide Dayton into a new phase of history. Congrats!